Integrated Health Care in Action
A continuing monthly webinar series through June 2021
Each session begins at 7:00 am Pacific
Duration: 75 minutes
In each session, Kaiser Permanente experts will highlight how integrated care supports and enables advancements in health and health care. Click on the session titles below for details.
Kaiser Permanente has more than 100 petabytes of data (volume) across many different data domains (variety), and it is growing rapidly (velocity). Big Data must be focused on strategic opportunities and the right analytic questions. The key to all this data is how it becomes actionable and supports an improved clinical and patient experience. Hear how Kaiser Permanente is leveraging both data and new technologies to glean greater insights from the data we have.
Vivian Tan, MBA is Kaiser Permanente’s vice president of strategic information management and global relationships and works closely with the chief financial officer and the chairman and CEO. Vivian provides strategic leadership for the decision support function and team in defining, developing, aligning, and advancing the organization’s overall information strategy program with analytics and insights that allow key decisionmakers to get “the right information at the right time” and make the best decisions. Additionally, she manages the organization’s World Economic Forum partnership and advises the chief strategy officer on broader international strategy. Earlier, Vivian led multiple transformation efforts driving Kaiser Permanente’s national strategy in partnership with all regions and functions. She identified, analyzed, and interpreted health care trends, organizational strategies, strategic investments, and Kaiser Permanente’s overall market and competitive position.
Mihir Mhatre is Kaiser Permanente’s senior director of national pharmacy analytics.
- New tool helps predict outcomes for COVID-19
- Identifying patients with symptoms suspicious for COVID-19 at elevated risk of adverse events: The COVAS score
- Kaiser Permanente reduces patient mortality with predictive analytics
- Development and Validation of Machine Learning Models: Electronic Health Record Data To Predict Visual Acuity After Cataract Surgery
- On the Use of Sampling Weights for Retrospective Medical Record Reviews
- Kaiser Permanente machine learning analysis of sepsis illustrates condition’s complexity
- Big Data, Miniregistries: A Rapid-Turnaround Solution to Get Quality Improvement Data into the Hands of Medical Specialists
- Big Data In Health Care: Using Analytics To Identify And Manage High-Risk And High-Cost Patients
- Toward the “Plateau of Productivity”: Enhancing the Value of Machine Learning in Critical Care
- Data Enclaves for Sharing Information Derived From Clinical and Administrative Data
- Data & Analytics Expertise — Center for Health Research
With its integrated system, Kaiser Permanente looks to use all the available tools to drive for a better future for health care. This includes leveraging facilities for efficient care as well as efficient energy and resource use. Our National Facilities team will share how Kaiser Permanente has become the first health system to achieve carbon neutrality, and why that’s significant for the future of health.
Presenters: Ramé Hemstreet, Sunil Shah, National Facilities Services
As vice president of operations for National Facilities Services (NFS) at Kaiser Permanente, Ramé Hemstreet is a key adviser to the senior vice president of facilities. He is responsible for integrating and coordinating all components of service delivery for NFS, including its multibillion-dollar capital acquisition program, maintenance, and energy programs at more than 1,000 hospitals, medical offices, and other buildings. Hemstreet focuses on lifecycle facilities management, reducing total cost of ownership, utilizing diverse vendors, and continuously improving the capabilities needed to successfully build and maintain the medical delivery infrastructure. As chief sustainable resources officer, Hemstreet oversees Kaiser Permanente’s energy and water strategy, focusing on reducing energy and water intensity and pursuing green power opportunities to reduce operating costs and greenhouse gas emissions. As a result of his efforts, in 2020 Kaiser Permanente was certified as carbon neutral in accordance with the Carbon Neutral Protocol.
For more than 10 years, Kaiser Permanente has been known for its use of virtual care, supported by our integrated electronic medical record. Even with our history of engaging virtually, COVID-19 saw dramatic changes — and opportunities — in virtual interactions. This session will focus on how Kaiser Permanente is using virtual care and how it is evolving.
Lisa Arellanes is a vice president in Kaiser Permanente’s National Care Delivery Operations Group, which aims to ensure consistent enterprise-wide operational performance to meet the care delivery expectations set by our mission. In this role, Lisa has the pleasure of leading the development of our enterprise telehealth strategy. She has also led the work to improve performance and capabilities for laboratory and imaging services, including COVID-19 testing. In 2020, Kaiser Permanente rapidly increased COVID-19 testing capabilities to meet the needs of our members, and we are continually evaluating the evolving science and methodology in this space. Lisa’s interest in health care was solidified in the early 1990s when she served as a Peace Corps health volunteer in South America and worked in poor rural communities during a cholera epidemic.
- Telehealth appointments improve follow-up care in patients with heart failure
- Transforming care delivery with telehealth at Kaiser Permanente
- Telehealth in Oncology During the COVID-19 Outbreak: Bringing the House Call Back Virtually
- Download the fact sheet (2019)
- Patient Satisfaction with Telehealth Soars
The Integrated Health Experience
May 4-27, 2021 (7 sessions)
An immersive journey through the essentials of Kaiser Permanente’s health care system, in 7 high-impact sessions. Our acclaimed program is now offered in a virtual format for health care leaders based around the world. The program covers Kaiser Permanente’s strategy, digital-first approach, change management, resource stewardship, health care transformation, and more.